Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Sugar Cookies with Icing




It just would not feel like Christmas without sugar cookies! When I was a little girl my mother and grandmother made sugar cookies every year. They made several different coffee cups of icing in all different colors for my brother and I to decorate the cookies. I have such great memories decorating sugar cookies with my brother. I took the easy route and made drop cookies after battling the dough for some time, but my mother and grandmother always rolled the dough out and cut the cookies into wreaths, trees, angels.... My brother and I took turns selecting the cookies we wanted to decorate. Making these cookies brought back so many fond memories for me! What fun!

Adapted from Allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup butter softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Icing:
Confectioners Sugar
Milk
Vanilla

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees

2. Mix together butter and sugar until smooth

3. Beat in egg and vanilla

4. Slowly add flour, baking powder, and baking soda

5. Roll dough out (1/4 in) and cut out shapes with a cookie cutter

6. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown

7. Cool completely before icing

8. Enjoy!!!

Okay, I really do not have measurements for the icing. I use about 2 cups of confectioners sugar and VERY SLOWLY (LIKE A TABLESPOON AT A TIME) add the milk. I used about a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla for flavoring. The icing should be thick enough to pipe on, but not too runny. Add a drop of any color food coloring.

*I like my cookies a little soft, so I removed them just before they turned golden brown.*



No comments:

Post a Comment