Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Eggnog Cupcakes with Bourbon and Eggnog Buttercream Icing









O.M.G. This is seriously the best cupcake I have ever tasted! It is so moist, light, and flavorful. Nothing screams Christmas like this cupcake! Forget the Pumpkin Pie, what an awesome dessert to serve after Christmas dinner!!! Even if you are not a fan of Eggnog, I know you will love this cupcake, you just have too. It's too good not to love! DEFINITELY LOVE AT FIRST BITE! And the icing....ohhhhh the icing.....I could eat it with a spoon! So lets get to the recipe!

Recipe adapted from Annies Eats

Ingredients
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 cup bourbon (Optional, also calls for dark bourbon. I used Jim Beam.)
1 cup eggnog
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sugar

Frosting Ingredients:
20 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
Pinch of salt
Pinch of grated nutmeg
2 1/2 tbsp. eggnog
1 tbsp. rum (optional)


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with paper liner

2. Mix flour, baking soda, baking power, salt, and nutmeg in one bowl

3. In a separate, combine eggnog, bourbon, vegetable oil, vinegar, and sugar with an electric mixer until well blended

4. Add the flour mixture to the eggnog mixture on low speed until just mixed

5. Divide batter evenly into lined cupcake pan

6. Bake between 22-24 minutes

7. Allow to cool and frost

8. Sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg

9. ENJOY

Frosting Directions:
Whip butter on high speed with eclectic mixer until fluffy
Add sugar, salt, nutmeg
Once mixed well, add eggnog
Beat in bourbon on low speed

*I halved this recipe for the icing. Normally, I am throwing tons of icing away but this was just enough! I added more bourbon and eggnog to my icing. I also added about 1/2 tsp of vanilla. I thought it tasted too much like the confectioners sugar, but the extra bourbon, eggnog, and vanilla was on point!

*This recipe is supposed to make 24 cupcakes, but it only made 14 for me. I filled the liners about 3/4 full*


No comments:

Post a Comment