Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Blueberry Pancake Cupcakes with Maple and Bacon Buttercream



I had an "ah ha" moment at breakfast Monday morning when I ordered my all time favorite breakfast, blueberry pancakes with a side of bacon. I thought, "How freaking awesome would it be to make a blueberry pancake cupcake with maple and bacon frosting?" When I was a little girl my grandmother always made me blueberry pancakes on Saturday mornings, and they have been my favorite breakfast food every since!

I searched some of my favorite cupcake web pages, and sure enough it had been done! I am sooo excited to share this one with you because it can't be beat! It's an entire breakfast in one cute little cup. How cool is that???

The cupcake recipe is adapted from yourcupofcake.com, but I switched up the icing. My boyfriend is terrified of cream cheese, for whatever reason, so I made a maple buttercream and added a fresh blueberry and bacon pieces on top. The icing is super sweet, so the salty bacon is a perfect balance! EVERYTHING is better with BACON anyway!






Ingredients:
1 cup butter softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 egg whites
3 1/3 cups of flour (I used all purpose but recipe does not specify)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup milk
1 tbsp vanilla (just realized I left out the vanilla, but these cupcakes are still awesome!)
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (I used fresh blueberries)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 360 degrees

2. Beat butter and sugar until fluffy in one bowl

3. Add eggs and egg whites slowly until fully Incorporated at low speed

4. In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda
5. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture by alternating with the milk, vanilla, and sour cream. Mix each ingredient thoroughly before adding the next

6. Fold in the blueberries

7. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full and bake for about 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cupcake

8. Cool thoroughly before icing

9. ENJOY!!!


Maple Buttercream:
2 sticks of butter softened
4 cups of confectioners sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
Use enough milk to make the icing loose enough to pipe (a few tbsp)

Mix all ingredients together





Mix all ingredients together. Garnish cupcakes with bacon and a blueberry! You can also drizzle maple syrup over the cupcake if you wish!






No comments:

Post a Comment