Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Apple Cinnamon Sticky Bun Cupcakes

Yes, you read that correctly! Apple Cinnamon Sticky Bun...CUPCAKES! You're in for a real treat with this one! A cinnamon bun cupcake...who would have thought?

I am a firm believer that the messier the food is....the better! And these are definitely sticky and messy! I brought these in for everyone in my office and the office next door, and they were a hit! A few people asked for the recipe and I got nothing but positive feedback!

The tart apples really balance out the sweet cinnamon bun...perfect match! Pop these in the microwave and you're in a for a super gooey sweet treat!



I am still using up these apples that my mom brought me, but you could easily leave the apples out with this recipe. I think the tart apples add a little something extra though!

I totally tested my abilities with this cupcake! I have never made dough before, and it's more challenging than I expected. I got sick of all the kneading, so I threw the dough in a bowl and prayed for the best....lucky me, they turned out! This is why I NEED (notice "need" not "want") a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer...hint hint Nick.






Lets get to the how to....

Dough Ingredients:
2 cups milk (2%)
1 tbsp active dry yeast
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
6 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature

Filling Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp cinnamon
1 cup chopped pecans
2 cups finely chopped tart apples (I shredded three granny smith apples)

Icing Ingredients:
1 cup confectioners sugar
2-3 tsp apple cider (I used milk)

Directions:
1. Heat milk to 110 degrees and dissolve yeast and sugar

2. Add salt and 2 cups of flour, beat for 2 minutes

3. Beat in eggs and butter

4. Stir in remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time making sure all is Incorporated

5. Kneed dough on floured surface until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes)

6. Place dough in a large bowl and cover with a towel. Allow to rise for about 40 minutes or until doubled in volume in a warm spot

7. Roll dough out in a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick

8. Brush with half of the melted butter

9. In a medium bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, apples, and pecans and spread over the dough, leaving about 1 inch uncovered on all sides

10. Roll dough from back to front and slice into 24 even sections

11. Place pieces in a lined cupcake tin. If they do not fit, make a "C" shape

12. Cover in a warm spot and allow to rise for another 40 minutes

13. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

14. Brush the tops of the pieces with the remaining melted butter

15. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown (mine baked exactly 20 minutes)

16. Mix the confectioners sugar and milk OR cider and drizzle over the cupcakes

17. ENJOY



No comments:

Post a Comment