Sunday, January 8, 2012

Applelicious~Apple Crumble






When my mom came to visit for Christmas, she brought me a whole bag of Granny Smith apples from the orchard behind her house in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. My boyfriends son was eating them along and along, but there were too many to eat. I didn't want them to go to waste so I decided to slice them up and make up something sweet. Turned out wayyyy better than I expected!



There is nothing bettter on a cold day than a warm apple dessert. Throw some vanilla ice cream on top, and I'm in HEAVEN!

I asked my boyfriend what to name this and he came up with Applelicious, so of course I had to use it. It's more like a cinnamon apple crumble.... I was so impressed with this dessert, especially since it was something that I threw together. It turned out AMAZING! With this dessert you have the contrast of sweet and tart, soft and crunchy, and hot and cold...PERFECT!




Lets get to the how to...

Ingredients:
5 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice

Streusel
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 stick butter softened
3/4 cup brown sugar packed
3/4 cups oats


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees

2. Toss apples in lemon juice

3. Combine apples, cinnamon, and sugar and pour into a baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray

4. In a separate bowl combine flour, brown sugar, oats, and butter

5. Sprinkle Streusel mixture evenly over the apples

6. Bake for 45 minutes or until apples are soft, but not too soft

7. Serve with ice cream and caramel sauce if desired

8. ENJOY!!!!



*I tuned the broiler on high and cooked for a few minutes to brown the streusel before pulling the apples out of the oven. It made the streusel nice and crunchy!*








Seconds. That's more like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment