Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake


I what you're thinking, WHAT THE HECK IS THAT? So my Pineapple Upside-Down Cake didn't turn out as pretty as Paula Deens', but it was sooooo Yummy! This is a must try! The pinapple buttercream really sets it off. I had lots of icing left over, and I was spreading it onto my cake like butter on bread. I know you will love it!




I had this bright idea that I would set the cakes on wax paper to cool because nothing sticks to wax paper right? Wrong! I don't have wire cooling racks, and I was so impatient because I couldn't wait to try this cake! I couldn't get them out of the pans quick enough to get them cooling! Bottom line, my cake didn't turn out as pretty as Paula's, but man ole man it was good!



Let's get to the how to!

Ingredients:
nonstick cooking spray
3 cups cake flour, plus more for pan
1 cup butter softened, plus 1/2 cup melted
2 1/4 cups sugar
5 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups whole buttermilk
1 1/2 cups brown sugar packed
2 cans of sliced pinapple in juice (reserve juice for buttercream)
1 jar maraschino cherries (you will need 12 cherries drained well)
Chopped pecans for garnish if desired

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray and coat with flour.

2. In a large bowl, beat 1 cup butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add the sugar, beating until fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla and set aside.

3. In a small bowl, add the 3 cups of flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine. Add the flour mixture into the egg mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.

4. Divide the brown sugar evenly into each pan. Pour the melted butter equally over the brown sugar. Arrange the pineapple slices and cherries over the brown sugar. Reserve remaining pineapple slices and cherries for another use.




5. Pour equal amounts of batter over the fruit and bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 to 45 minutes. Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Invert the cakes onto wire racks to cool completely.

6. To assemble the cake, carefully arrange 1 cake layer, pineapple side up, on a cake plate. Carefully stack the remaining cake layer, pineapple side up, over the first layer. Frost the sides of the cake with Pineapple Buttercream Frosting. Press chopped pecans into sides of cake, if desired

Pineapple Buttercream:
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons reserved pineapple juice (I used about 4 tbsps)
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
Beat all the ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.

Yield: about 2 cups

I hope ya'll enjoy this cake! We sure did!

No comments:

Post a Comment