Saturday, November 12, 2011

Caramel Apples on a whole-nother-level!





I am so excited! I just made the most awesome caramel apples! I was trying to get creative with these...MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! I made a caramel apple, a rocky road apple (with chocolate, pecans, caramel, and marshmallows), a caramel apple with chocolate and vanilla, and a caramel apple with pecans!!! Yummooo!

I have been a fan of anything apple my entire life, candy apples, caramel apples, apple pie, apple turnovers, apple butter...I seriously could go on forever!

When I was a little girl, I remember sitting beside my Papa Hall on the living room floor as I handed him an apple. He always laid in the floor with his head propped up on a small stool. He would pull out his pocket knife and peeled my apple handing me slices as he went along. Some of my fondest childhood memories are from time spent with my Papa and Grandma Hall.

Every year we went to the Virginia State Fair, and I brought home a candy apple. I always picked the apple with the most candy or caramel at the bottom. We have recently continued the tradition of visiting the Virginia State Fair, and I still refuse to leave without a candy and a caramel apple!

I can remember watching my grandmother make candy apples in the kitchen when I was a child. She always poured the candy over a stick for my brother to make him a sucker because he didn't like the apples. To this day, whenever I see an old friend of mine she mentions my grandma's candy apples. In fact, I saw her at the grocery store last night and she mentioned it.


Lets get to the how to....

I used a Concord Foods Caramel Apple Kit to coat the apples. The kit says it makes 10caramel apples, but half the kit only coated 4 apples.

Ingredients:
Caramel Apple Kit
1 c. milk
2 1/2 cups of sugar
apples

1. Mix the contents of the caramel apple kit with the milk and bring to a boil for 2 minutes on medium heat.

2. Stir in sugar. Stir occasionally.

3. Cook caramel to a soft ball stage or 242 degree Fahrenheit on a candy thermometer.
(If you don't have a candy thermometer, cook caramel until the caramel forms a soft ball when dropped into a cup of cold water.)

4. Let caramel sit 10 minutes.

5. Insert sticks into apples.

6. Roll apples in caramel.

7. Place apples on wax paper (I spray butter on the wax paper too.)

Tip: Dip apples into boiling water for a quick second to remove wax from apples before coating them with caramel. It may also help to chill the apples after removing the wax. This helps prevent the caramel from running off of the apples.

Pecan Caramel Apple: I chopped pecans into very small pieces and rolled the apple in the pecans.

Caramel with Vanilla and Chocolate Apple: I melted candy wafers (vanilla and chocolate) in the microwave on defrost until smooth when stirred. I then drizzled the chocolate and vanilla over the apples and immediately refrigerated.




Rocky Road Apple: I rolled the caramel apple into the pecans and added marshmallows while the caramel is still warm. I then drizzled chocolate (see above) over the apple and immediately refrigerated.







These apples were a hit with my boyfriend and his 6 year old son! I am so excited about them! I can't wait to experiment more!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment